Friday, July 24, 2009

Talking the Talk & Walking the Walk.

My devotion this morning has had me thinking really a lot today. It was about talking the talk & walking the walk. Those are two completely different things. Talking the talk is so much easier than walking the walk, right? Today, many people can tell other's about how to life the Christian life. They can tell all the right things to do. You can easily tell others that you need to: Pray, go to Church, have a quiet time, and worship. But what does it mean to walk the walk?

Walking the walk, I believe, is the live by example. It's so different to tell someone the right things to do & then to follow up on your words by your actions. Today, people fear judgement, rejection, & failure. They are scared that others will think down on them if they live the right life. The bible says in 1 Peter 3:1 "Then, even if some refuse to obey the Good News, your godly lives will speak to them without any words. They will be won over by observing your pure & reverent lives." I have to admit that it's hard to follow your words with the right actions. You never know what others think about you or if you really are doing the right thing. To be honest, it doesn't matter what others think about you. The only thing that matters is that you are living your life to glorify God. If your actions are serving God, then you are on the right track.

This past Spring Break, I went to Honduras to do some mission work. I have never had one day of a Spanish class. I only knew how to say hello, how are you, and what's your name. Other than that I was clueless. I was terrified that I would not be able to communicate, I would not be able to share the Good News and the love of Christ with these people. I soon learned that you don't need words. The only thing these people needed was someone to love them, to be there for them. Sometimes people don't need to hear what the right thing to do is, sometimes they just need someone to show them what to do.

the old saying goes: Actions speaks louder than words.
I want to challenge you to show others how to live a Christian life. Lead by example, through your actions.

"And you yourself must be an example to them by doing good works of every kind. Let everything you do reflect the integrity and seriousness of your teaching." -Titus 2:7

No comments:

Post a Comment